We understand the importance of education for all ages, not just children. To promote the further education of teachers and other educational professionals to ensure the best possible care of all children, we provide the DCF Introductory Child Care Training classes and competency exams.
Florida Child Care Introductory Mandated Training
With the sponsorship of the Department of Children and Families (DCF), Child Care of Southwest Florida offers Florida Child Care Mandated Training for child care personnel and family child care home providers.
- Introductory Training Requirements for Child Care Personnel
- Training Requirements for Family Child Care Home Providers
- Curriculum Updates August 2015
- In-Service Training and CEUs Information
The mandated courses are offered online or by instructors in the classroom. Child Care of Southwest Florida oversees and coordinates the training only in the following counties: Charlotte, Collier, Glades, Hendry and Lee. Child care training is currently offered in Fort Myers in English and Spanish. For other counties click here.
In addition to mandated training, we host competency exams. All child care personnel, child care center operators, as well as operators of family child care homes are required to pass the competency exams. Child Care center personnel must pass the exams within 1 year after the date on which they began their initial child care training. Child care facilities will be held responsible for ensuring their staff successfully complete the necessary training and have passed the exams, within the required time frames. Competency exams are currently offered in the following locations:
- Child Care of Southwest Florida: 6831 Palisades Park Ct., Ste 6, Fort Myers, FL 33912
- Eagle Lakes Community Park: 11565 Tamiami Trail E., Naples, FL 34113
- Early Learning Coalition of Florida's Heartland: 2886 Tamiami Trail, Port Charlotte, FL 33952
- RCMA: 402 W Main Street, Immokalee, FL 34142
- William Austen Youth Center: 315 SW 2nd Ave, Cape Coral, FL 33931
The Information regarding training requirements and competency exams in the State of Florida is in the Department and Children and Families website www.myflorida.com/childcare
- Schedule classes April, May and June 2016 in Fort Myers - Spanish Series
- Schedule exams April - June 2016
Coming Soon: Schedule classes July, August and September in Fort Myers - English Series
Classes April and May 2016 in Immokalee - CANCELLED. For more information please contact 239-278-0160.