If your anything like me, you have been patiently waiting for the changing of the seasons. Well it seems as if it is finally beginning to feel like fall here in Southwest Florida. The snowbirds are arriving and the temperature is beginning to drop. As the summer heat begins to fade, it becomes time to take advantage of this fall weather with some exciting activities that the whole family can enjoy.
- Go to a sports game –With Baseball, Football, Basketball and more all underway, now is a great time of year to enjoy a sporting event with friends, family and neighbors. Whether you’re exploring the world of professional sports or enjoying a local game, take the opportunity to teach your children about the importance of teamwork and good sportsmanship. Watching a favorite team or athlete will create a memorable experience that you and your child won’t soon forget.
- Have a scavenger hunt – Create a list of things you can find outside and race to see who can find them all first. If this is too easy, make riddles for each item so your family has to figure out what the item is before they can begin searching for it. Make sure to keep up your active early childhood observations. Problem solving activities such as these are a great way to assess your child’s current needs and behaviors. For more information, check out our Watch Me Grow blog on the importance of childhood observation.
- Ride a bike or take a walk – Take a stroll through your neighborhood. This is a wonderful and exciting way to get some exercise and bond as a family. As you go through your neighborhood, be sure to discuss the different plants, animals and things you see. Teaching your children about nature and the human impact on the world lays the foundation for future sustainability education.
- Have a bonfire – Invite your family and friends! Get to know your neighbors, invite them to join you and host a bonfire. Plan the bonfire together as a family and go over the safety precautions with your kids. Spend some time gathering brush, leaves, sticks, whatever it may be beforehand and cleaning up together afterward. To add to the excitement, throw some s’mores making into the mix. Who doesn’t love s’mores?
- Get crafty outdoors – Outside craft projects are a great way for children to create, learn and play while embracing the crisp autumn air. Be sure to mark your calendars for our Nov. 4, 2017 Pop-Up Adventure Play at Florida SouthWestern State College where we create the opportunity for children to “find” fun hiding all around them!
- Get cooking – What would fall be without those delicious treats? Warm your heart and your kitchen with these 12 Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe Ideas. Cooking with your kids not only teaches them a vital life skill, it requires science and creativity to turn piles of ingredients into sweet treats!
As you can see, there are a variety of fall activities that you can do with your child. These are but a few of the seasonal things you and your family can enjoy together. These types of activities not only create lasting memories and special moments; they each offer unique teaching opportunities for children to learn while having fun. We hope you and your child enjoy festive, fun and educational activities this fall—and all year long!Posted 11/1/17